Thursday, August 23, 2012

No regrets? Are you kidding?

  
     Ever heard someone say "I have no regrets".  That to me sounds like a person who lived a very tame, very boring life. Went no where, did nothing. Over burdended with pride.  That sounds like someone hit with a stupid stick who never recovered. I have lots of regrets.  I regret not having more kids so I could have more grand-kids.  I regret not being twice as loving towards my kids and wife.  I regret not doing ten times more for God than I did.  I regret not making more friends and even more, regret not keeping them.  I regret not being more loving to others around me. I regret missing the will of God far too many times but greatly appreciate His acceptance and forgiveness.  I regret being stubborn and prideful far too often.  I regret at having failed at times to accomplish what I know God wanted and so thankful He gives second, third, ect., etc., other chances.  I regret having to battle my flesh in some of the same areas for so many years. And yes, I regret my sins, trespasses, iniquity, guile and being short of the original glory of God.  But, so thankful He saved me, forgive me, plucked me out of the miry clay and put my feet on the Rock.  I regret not walking in a greater lever of God's wisdom, which I could have done, had I surrendered my pride.  I regret not kicking the devil in the teeth more often.  I regret not learning to drink to overflowing of the Holy Ghost earlier in my life.  I regret taking so long to discover the supernatural joy of the Holy Ghost.  My, oh my, would that have made a difference. (Less regrets for sure).   Regrets?  Oh, yeah!   I have them.

    To me, people with no regrets also have no consciousness of how wonderful God's grace, forgiveness and long-suffering happens to be. People with no regrets, I guess, never look back and think "I wish I had done differently".  To me that sounds like they went through life and really learned nothing much. That reminds me of the horses that race with blinders on.  Do you realize how much that horses missing seeing?  He just sees the dirt path in front of him and nothing else. Just goes in circles.  How boring would that be? I have found life is not one consistent blind walk down a smooth path like that horse.  It is walking, with a little running, with a jump here and there, a misstep here, a wrong turn there, an obstacle or two there, one you jumped and the other you had to fight your way through.  Life is lived taking what comes at you, sometimes throwing a right hook when you should have thrown a left. It is standing when you should have run and running when you should have stood. And, sometimes it is actually getting things right. But, it is always going on, learning, living, laughing and loving.

   Now, there are some things I don't regret.  I don't regret tricking the greatest woman on God's green earth to marry me.  No regrets!  I don't regret having three kids and my grand-kids who I love more than life.  No regrets!  And for sure, I don't regret a trip to the altar as an eight year old boy, asking God to save me.  I sure don't regret the opportunity to serve the Lord in so many, many ways, for sixty two years now and with a million or two, etc.,  yet to go.  I don't regret getting baptized with the Holy Ghost setting off on a lifetime of companionship and learning with Him.  No regrets!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.